Erectile Dysfunction(ED) is one of the most common sexual problems in men and in most of the men, Erectile Dysfunction can be cured by oral medications, Food Diet, and Lifestyle changes. In some men, oral medication might not work or give them the erections that are required for the erections to have satisfactory sex.
There is no need to worry if oral medications like Viagra(Sildenafil) and Cialis (Tadalafil) are not working for you as there are other treatments like Injectable Medications available for Erectile Dysfunction. Today we are going to discuss such injectable medication Trimix. Most of the men have lots of questions and fears about injectable medications, In this, are going to answer:
- What is Trimix?
- How Does Trimix Work?
- How to take Trimix?
- How well does Trimix work compared to Cialis or Viagra?
- How long before Trimix starts working?
- Who should use Trimix?
- What are the pros and cons of Trimix?
- Does Trimix actually work?
What is Trimix?
Trimix is an injectable treatment for erectile dysfunction. Trimix is the combination of alprostadil, papaverine and phentolamine. Trimix is the brand name for a generic medicine called Alprostadil, So Alprostadil and Trimix are the same things.
How Does Trimix Work?
The penis normally produces a small amount of Prostaglandin E1 when you are sexually aroused and this hormone relaxes smooth muscle so that blood can flow into the penis to get an erection. Essentially Trimix mimics this process because it is a synthetic blend of the prostaglandin E1 Hormone.
How to take Trimix?
It comes as an injection that is put directly into the penis with a small Needle. This medication must be started at a low dose under doctor guidance.
It’s really important to
- Start low and titrate up initially. Finding the right dose without using too much.
- That the erection doesn’t go on for too long I’ll talk more about the side effects very soon.
It can take a few attempts (separated by a minimum of 24 hours between uses)to find the right dose for you. The injection process can be a bit of a mental hurdle and it may take some to get used to.
How well does Trimix work compared to Cialis or Viagra?
As you might guess, due to convenience, Viagra and Cialis are usually offered first for erectile dysfunction. One of the problems with these medications is that they don’t work for everyone. In fact, up to 44% of people find this to be the case. Also, not everyone can take Viagra because they need to have other medicines like nitrates which aren’t safe to use with Viagra. Injectable drugs provide more reliable and better erections than Cialis and Viagra. This has been shown in the studies over the last 20 Years.
How long before Trimix starts working?
Well, It works fast within 10-15 minutes of having the injection and it lasts for about 1 hour. Keep in mind you can only use the injections up to 3 times maximum per week and only once every 24 hours.
Can you take Trimix while on other medicines?
Because you are performing an injection into an area that could potentially bleed, people who are on blood thinners like warfarin or Dabigatran should not use Trimix and here is the list of all the unsafe medical conditions for Trimix
- In men who have a known allergy to Alprostadil.
- In men who have conditions such as sickle cell anemia or sickle cell trait, multiple myeloma, or leukemia.
- In men with fibrotic conditions of the penis, such as anatomical deformation, angulation, cavernosal fibrosis, or Peyronie’s disease.
- In men with penile implants.
- In men with very low blood pressure.
- In men taking blood thinner medications.
What are the side effects of using Trimix?
There are Two main side effects to be aware of with Trimix.
- Prolonged erections and priapism, This is a really important side effect because it can be quite serious and a study which looked at roughly 1800 patients treated with Trimix for 18 months, 4% had an erection that lasted between 4 to 6 hours and 0.4 percent had erections that lasted longer than 6 hours which is called priapism. Now Priapism is a medical emergency and can cause permanent damage if it’s not treated. It’s still pretty uncommon with Trimix but I think it’s vital to know about this before you consider starting the treatment.
- Penile Fibrosis which is a fancy term for scarring that happens in the penis. This is one of the longer-term risks of using Trimix and in that same 18-month study 7.8% of patients had penile fibrosis and it’s very important to regularly check your penis while using Trimix and to stop the injections if scarring develops or there are signs of bending of the penis. This can generally be avoided by changing your injection site.
Are there any other injectables you can use for erectile dysfunction other than Trimix?
Any of the individual 3 components of trimix will work to some degree on its own – particularly alprostadil. However, Trimix and the combination of all three: alprostadil, papaverine and phentolamine, seems to be by far the most successful.
Can women take Trimix?
Well, I don’t know where a woman would be injecting this but, No! a woman can’t use Trimix.
Is there anything else you should know?
Up until recently Trimix required an in-office visit and would cost thousands of dollars. Now there is a clinic: TheEDClinic.com that offers trimix on-line! They have also been able to reduce the price greatly down to 12 doses for just $299. They have a very informative video on How To Use Trimix – check it out!