Diabetes is one of the most common chronic diseases in all countries and In the United States, diabetes has been on the rise and is one of the country’s most widespread chronic diseases. Patients with diabetes not only have to control their blood glucose levels to avoid long-term health issues such as kidney failure, eye damage, nerve discomfort, and cardiac problems, but they can have problems that impact their life more physically, such as problems with getting or sustaining an erection that may affect their sex lives.
Studies show that more than 50% of men who are diagnosed with diabetes have developed Erectile Dysfunction within 5 to 10 years. Other studies show that, Compared to non-diabetic men, diabetic men are at three times increased risk of Erectile Dysfunction.
How diabetes affects a man sexually?
It should be recalled that ED can be related to the inadequate penis (vascular) blood flow, psychiatric disorders such as depression (psychological), or issues with penis nerves (neurological). These issues may be caused or worsened by diabetes. As such, people with diabetes who have ED appear to find that the condition is steadily getting worse.
Get a dose of health tips delivered for free
Harm to blood vessels
Diabetes indicates that the body produces more sugar, which can destroy small blood vessels. This is what causes damage to the liver, vision loss, and nerve pain. Although the damage to tiny blood vessels in the penis is done, an erection is always difficult to get and retain. This is why, for men with long-standing, untreated diabetes, ED is terrible. Due to further damage to the arteries in the penis, men with diabetes and high blood pressure will also face an increased risk of ED.
Low testosterone levels
Good levels of testosterone in the body are necessary for healthy sexual life and It is projected that 25 percent of men with diabetes have low testosterone levels. As testosterone has a significant effect on sexual activity in males, low testosterone may contribute to ED.
Often men with diabetes may become depressed or have anxiety due to the difficulty of having to cope with a difficult illness. Depression may contribute to a variety of difficulties with an erection. One indication of this is the lack of sleep that induces the loss of morning erections (morning wood), which is natural to healthy men. Anxiety can cause men to unexpectedly lose their erection during intercourse, or have trouble in an erection.
Can Diabetes medicines cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Often men who have diabetes are controlled with several medicines to reduce their chance of cardiac attacks or diabetes complications. Some of these medicines can often contribute to ED by reducing blood pressure or inducing other side effects that render erection difficult.
Treatment of ED associated with diabetes
- Oral medication – Oral medications like sildenafil, Cialis can help in treating Erectile dysfunction. These pills can help ease blood flow to your penis, making it easier to get and keep an erection. Check with your doctor to see whether one of these medications is a safe choice for you.
- Quitting smoking – By boosting the blood pressure, smoking increases the risk of ED, which can kill tiny blood vessels in your penis over time. If you have diabetes, which can damage your blood vessels, it’s even tougher.
- Reducing fat and cholesterol in the diet – Research has shown that men with high cholesterol are at higher risk of ED and that lowering fat and cholesterol levels can further mitigate this risk by making dietary changes.
- Exercise and weight loss – For men with diabetes who are obese or overweight, losing weight is important, as it can help lower blood glucose levels and increase blood circulation. This enhancement may also assist with ED. In clinical trials, weight reduction has been a fantastic way to return sexual function to many men.
- Stress Relief – Diabetes may contribute to mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety, and may exacerbate or intensify ED by psychological stress. Overcoming tension may be achieved in a variety of forms, such as by therapy or suggestion. Ashwagandha tablet is one of the most effective stress relief tablets available in the market.
However, people with diabetes also tend to have problems with their heart, these medications may not be appropriate and could cause dangerous interactions with some heart medicines. Talk to your doctor to determine what treatment is best. Many men are reluctant to discuss erectile dysfunction with their doctors. But don’t let embarrassment keep you from getting help. Just taking this step will get them on their way to recover not only their sex life but their relationship as well. They need not worry about their privacy as clinics like “The ED Clinic” take full care to make sure all privacy details are just that- Private.